Sunday, August 6, 2017

It's August

Hello Sweet Daughter of mine
I can't believe it is August!!  It is strange because it feels like we have been in school for so long (even though it has only been a couple of weeks) but it just doesn't feel like it has been very long since you left.  It is hard to believe that most of the world doesn't start school for a few more weeks.  
This week I saw something in 1st Nephi that I guess I saw but never really focused on.  That chapter is about how Lehi takes his family, leaves everything behind, and heads to the wilderness because of what the Lord had taught him in a dream.  In verse 12 we read about Laman and Lemuel first murmuring but we tend to skip over the reason they murmur.  It says it is because they knew not the dealings of God.  I look at my own life and the times when I struggle the most and complain to the Lord the most is usually when I can't see why things are happening around me.  I forget that just because I can't see doesn't mean that the Lord can't see.  If I can trust Him and come to know how what His plan is for me it takes the sting out of the struggle.  In Verse 16 we find out that Nephi had to go to the Lord to get his heart softened (which means he probably had a hard heart about it at first).  Rather than complaining like his brothers it just said that he had a great desire to know the mysteries of God (mysteries in the scriptures are usually a direct way of saying revelation).  Because he turned to God he learned the dealings of God and was able to keep from complaining.  What I thought was interesting was in the first verse of chapter 3 it says that he went from receiving revelation directly to the tent of his father where he is told they need to go and get the plates.  We always focus on 1 Nephi 3:7, but Nephi only has that attitude because of the experience he has just had with the Lord.  I think that is why the Lord doesn't send them to get the plates until they are quite a ways away.  Nephi wouldn't have been ready yet.
I suppose that is a long way of saying to make sure you are always keeping the channels of communication open to Heavenly Father.  The Lord will not trust us with what He needs done if we are not ready.  He will give us the experiences we need to get ready, but what we do with those experiences is up to us. Nephi and Laman and Lemuel all have the same experiences, they just choose to respond to them differently.  If we keep turning to the Lord we will always find peace.  It doesn't mean our struggles go away (Laman and Lemuel continue to go through the same struggles as Nephi) but we will find peace even through the struggles.  
I love you sweet girl.  I am so proud of you and we love your letters so much.  They are always inspiring!!!!
Love,
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Last Week Pictures

 Sister Hemenway, Sister Taylor, Sister Ha   Last time with President and Sister Taylor before leaving for the airp...